July 8, 2009

an anthropological list

Here are just a few of the people whose work I find inspiring, challenging, encouraging, and fascinating. No ideas come out of thin air, and so many people are responsible for creating "anthropology" as I know it. Here are just a few (all names have links):

Paul Farmer. This is one person who always reminds me of the positive possibilities of anthropological work.

Tom Boellstorff. Pushing boundries, gotta love it.

Colleen Morgan over at Middle Savagery. An amazing mix of archaeology, photography, and media studies. Always doing something interesting and taking the time to write about it.

Dave Johnstone and Justine Shaw. I was really lucky to get the chance to work with these two in the field for a short time last year in Quintana Roo. These two work hard, trust me.

Trudi Lynn Smith. Had the chance to meet Trudy at last year's AAA meeting. Take the time to look through her project site. Makes me want to go get a view camera again.

Michael Shanks. He is always doing SOMETHING that gets me thinking--especially about the interwoven trajectories of cultural anthropology, archaeology, and photography.

William Rathje. Another person whose work really gets me thinking about archaeology, material artifacts, meaning, and how it all applies to the present.

Beatriz Manz. If you are going to read one book about the recent history of Guatemala, read Paradise in Ashes.

Max Forte. Critical, always writing, and always challenging the status quo. I wish I could post as much as he does.

Daniel Lende. Not only do I admire all the work he is doing at Neuroanthropology, I was also glad to split an overpriced cab to Sante Fe with him earlier this year.

Mike Wilken. Doing a ton of great work in Baja California. Mike also inspires me to keep my work active and relevant.

Edward Bruner. Culture on Tour is one of my all time favorites.

Jay Ruby. Reading through some of his work really made me rethink how to look at media anthropologically. Especially when it comes to thinking not just about image content, but about how people USE things like photographs.

Elizabeth Edwards. I can't get enough of her work. I wish I could buy all her books. Photographs, Objects, Histories is one of my favorites lately.

James Clifford. One thing I really regret is not finding a way to take a class from Clifford when I was at UCSC. The Predicament of Culture is another book that I have been reading and re-reading for a while now. All kinds of ideas from Clifford.

Arturo Escobar. His work reminds me that the way things are isn't something that has to be accepted as matter of course.

I'm going to add more to this later...


No comments: