July 1, 2010

Joe Deal, 1947-2010

The photographer Joe Deal recently passed away. I had never heard of him or his work until I came across this post over on Jim Johnson's blog. Deal took part in a project called "The New Topographics: Photographs of a Man-Altered Landscape." This was in the 1970s (read more about this project/show here). I had heard of some of the photographers who were also part of the whole New Topographics exhibit, such as Stephen Shore and Robert Adams. Here is the photograph that Johnson posted:

Here is a little more about Deal. I am especially interested in some of the subtle images that investigate the ways in which humans have changed the landscapes they live in, and the traces those changes leave in our everyday lives. Pretty anthropological stuff if you ask me.

No comments: