February 26, 2011

James Danziger on what we get from artists

James Danziger's blog The Year in Pictures is always full of all kinds of good stuff. Here is a snippet from his latest post:
And as I thought about this, I realized that one of the things artists give us is a way of defining and ordering what we see. A sea horizon can be a Meyerowitz or a Sugimoto. A random gesture in a park can be a Winogrand. A tackily colored interior can be an Eggleston. And rather than taking away from the pleasure of seeing these things, for those of us who are not artists I think it actually adds pleasure. Recognizing the association is in itself a creative gesture. Thus the realization that the scene outside my window (below) was like a Leong was both a gift from the artist and a gift from and to myself.
Photo by James Danziger, 2011.

No comments: