October 20, 2010

Histories on glass


My wife and I found a few old glass plates in a junk/antique store one weekend when we went driving around outside of Lexington. This was earlier this year--maybe sometime during the spring. Old boxes of photographs--especially just everyday snapshots of families and regular everyday stuff--have always fascinated me. I always wonder about what happened to all of the people...and I also wonder about the moment that the images were made. Who took the picture? In this case, what kind of 4x5 was used? What was happening in that moment? How and why did this men pose together? I am really fascinated by the social and cultural conventions that go into posing for and taking photographs. Glass plate negatives are incredibly fascinating. Just the fact that they can survive for so many years completely amazes me.

No comments: